12 September 2006

I am very proud of this paper. I wrote it in less than two hours, and I think its not bad.


Love is Forever?
Our eyes meet across the room. Nothing is said. Nothing is done. Yet for a brief moment we have connected. We understand each other. A silent message goes between us. A message that brings comfort. A message that brings pleasure. And a message that makes my heart jump and my stomach whirl. But in moment it is gone, and all I am left with is a memory. I try to conjure that feeling over and over again, but the memory supplies nothing but an empty ache. I have seen him before. In fact, I have seen him many times through out my life. Sometimes he has brown hair, sometimes green eyes. Other times he has blond hair and striking blue eyes that you could stare into for hours. There are times he is Hispanic, and times he is Asian. Many times I don’t know his name, but often I do. When our eyes meet, sometimes I let them linger knowing I will never see this set again, but many times I pull away hoping I was dreaming. Who is this changing man? He is just that: man.
This kind of experience is from where dreams come, books are written, songs are sung. This is love. Or at least this is what we have been told is love. But is this true love? What is true love? Sebastien R. N. Chamfort said, “Love, such as it is in society, is only the exchange of two fantasies, and the contact of two bodies.” Can this be true? “No, of course not“, we women would answer. Love is much more than that, right? Or can it be that society has change the meaning of the word love? Is the glance across the room and the small instant connection between two people love or is it in some small way just a “fantasy”?
The world is searching for one thing and that is true love and acceptance. We have decided as a society that love is selfish. Love is all about feeling good. When you tell someone you love them, what are you hoping for? Sex? Attention? Cuddles? Support? We never seem to tell someone we love them because we want to help the other person or supply them with what they need. We seem to be trying to fulfill our own desires and pleasures. But how long do these relationships last? Ten years? Five years? A month? A week? or even a minute? We are searching for fulfillment through the feeling of being in loved. We never seem to find it so we go from one partner to next hoping for better luck. Unfortunately, if we are trying to find the love like the story books, it is never going to happen.
According to Thomas A Kempis, “Love is swift, sincere, pious, pleasant, generous, strong, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, manly, and never seeking her own; for wheresoever a man seekth his own, he falleth from love” A Kempis is saying that that if a man or woman loves selfishly then he or she is no longer loving. This can’t possibly be true, can it? I can tell myself that in deed I have loved everyone of those men or boys who I have had an attraction to, but then with everyone of them I can, in minutes, forget one and begin to “love” another. Is that love? Or could it be possible that what we as a society have been calling love is not love at all but only a strange emotional fantasy that will fade with time, and true love is indeed what A Kempis says it is? “Love is patience. Love is kind, and is not jealous. Love does not brag, and it is not arrogant. It does not act unbecomingly. It does not seek its own. It is not provoked. It does not take into account a wrong suffered. Love bears all thing, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails.”

1 comment:

Sacha said...

I love this, Marie!! You truly captured what the world screams in a soft whisper...love is what we want. Thanks for a fresh vision for true love!
See youu in a week!!